Saturday, May 19, 2018

HAM Hero!

Something just came on TV about Amelia Earhart.  It reminded me of someone that I knew as a kid, that was influenced by Amelia.

Fern V. Fisher (Call Sign: W9LCJ) was an interesting person from Racine, that was a pilot, flight instructor, mechanic & radio tech.

I used to live by her as a kid, in the 80's. She is one of the people that kind of guided me into the world of computers & electronics.  Little did she know that I would end up making a career out of it.

Fern used to bring me to the HAM swap meets, so that I could bring home a bunch of electronic goodies, to tinker with. I also received a few electronic kits from her, like the Radio Shack 150in1. Even gave me an aircraft receiver.  I just remember that the antenna was a phono plug, so I had to get a phono to F connector, in order to connect it to the rooftop TV antenna.  Yes, I know now that the impedance was probably off.

I was also recently asking a friend, Blake, about amateur radio stuff, and she came to mind. I'm pretty sure my brother remembers me going through the trash, when she tossed out electronic goodies. :P

Still remember when she shook my hand and said, "You shook the hand that Amelia Earhart shook."

Learn About Her:
40 years at Batten
A passion for flight: Local aviation pioneers join Hall of Fame
Obit: Fern Viola Fisher (Call Name W9LCJ)
Southeastern Wisconsin Aviation Hall of Fame

Update June 21, 2019:
I was at the EAA Chapter 838 Museum, and stumbled on some pictures & information. She was inducted into chapter 838's hall of fame, back in 1999.  Took some pictures of them with my phone, so the quality is not the best.  Click on them to enlarge.

Working on a Cub, circa 1943:

Fern with the same Cub (NC37905) in 1991:

A chic Fern Fisher with her Cub Coupe:

Fern with one of the Cubs she flew as an instructor during World War II:

Working the unicom in 1985:

Misc Photo:

Hall of Fame Letter:

No comments:

Post a Comment