Sunday, May 20, 2012

Digital Spaces Traveler Under Linux & Wine

This is about my experience running Traveler under Wine/Xubuntu. This is not an installation manual or instructions of any sort. This is mostly my notes, that I figured others may be able to find useful.

Commands run to get Wine ready for Traveler in XUbuntu 12.04 & mint-xfce 14:

  • winetricks mfc42
Commands run if Traveler under Wine gets unruly:
  • wineserver -k

Keep in mind that this will kill everything running under Wine.

Desktop Shortcut:

Out of the box the traveler link did not work for me.  This is because traveler was installed under Program Files (x86). You may not have this problem.

I created a new launcher pointing to:
wine '/home/userprofile/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/DSTrav/apps/traveler.exe'

I also converted the icon file to a png to make it easier to use on my desktop:

Or the even more retro icon:

Audio:
The volume level for Traveler (or Wine) was substantially quieter than the rest of my system. Thankfully pavucontrol lets you adjust the volume for applications discreetly.

Wine AppDP - Traveler 2.03:
Latest Wine/Traveler combination status.
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=21871

Screenshot:

Just For Fun:
While at the St. Louis Sculpture Garden, I encountered a sculpture that reminded me of Traveler.


No comments:

Post a Comment